Sunday, January 29, 2006

Unicycle

Today was a chilly winter day...oh wait...I'm sorry it was a beautiful, sunny 80 degree winter day. Cole and I met Granny at the park for a picnic. We had lunch under a shade tree and played some baseball. While we were sitting there, a boy rode by on a unicycle, when I pointed him out to Cole, he cried out "A unicycle". My mom and I looked at him in amazement, how in the heck did he even know the word "unicycle"?

We spent a few hours at the park. I got to play with him on the playscape. He nimbly climbs the ladders and gracefully slides down the slides, always asking me to join in. I try to lumber my way up the stairs, praying I don't fall and make a fool of myself and then follow him down the slide, yelling "WEEEE" with my hands in the air, as I'm directed. Two girls were throwing rocks (why is someone ALWAYS throwing rocks...and where are their parents). They called Cole a little kid and he said "no, I'm bigger, I'm this many (holding up 3 fingers) and they called him a little kid again. He looked at me and said, "Mommy, they called me little, am I little?" Of course, I said no. He looked at them and said "See, I told my Mommy on you two and she said, I'm bigger." Afterwards, he told every kid (and parent) that came by that he was bigger. At the top of a playscape he did a headfirst roll at the top of a slide (on purpose), he also had to slide face-forward and on his back. At this particular park they have an area where you can hold onto a handle and then slide from one platform to another. I'm so surprised how strong he is. He held on all by himself and went back an forth many times. Then he repeated this, one-handed. Such a boy!

After the park, my mom took him home for a few hours, so I could stop by work and get some things done. They stopped at the grocery store to get some things for dinner and she said he wanted a bag of popcorn because "he loves it" and "has been eating it for years." The sayings that come out of his mouth make me laugh.

What a fun and relaxing, Sunday.

No comments: