Sunday, January 29, 2006

Too old

Last week one of the nurses at work got free tickets to a comedy show downtown for Friday night. I was invited to go with several other people. First of all, the show didn't even start until 10 pm (past my bedtime). My mom agreed to watch Cole for a few hours and then bring him back to my place for bedtime. My mom graciously said to have fun and not worry about rushing home (even though she had to be up VERY early the next day for a work function).

The night started out fun, me and two other girls (Maureen and Leah) were going to ride together and grab some dinner. We went to my brothers work (or Obo's castle as Cole calls it) to park (valet parking for $2) it is much easier to park there than pay $10 on 6th street and you only have to 1 block to get to 6th. We had a great margarita for free...thanks Obo.

We then went to have dinner and "Obo" came to join us...to flirt with Marueen...wink,wink. We had a great time just being stupid and hanging out. We then moved to the comedy show at Esther's Folly's. It's been at least 6 years since I have been there and some of the skits are similiar but still worth a good laugh. Much of the humor is poltically motivated and there were two younger people in our group that didn't laugh much at these skits. I think the magician was the best part, HOW DID THEY DO THAT?

The show ended close to midnight. Maureen and Leah wanted to go somewhere else for awhile. At this point, I was thinking "I need to get home" but was trying to not ruin the mood. They choose a dance club that was 18 and over....in otherwords....99% 18 year olds. The music was urban rap. I didn't find these places fun when I was 18. Don't get me wrong, I love to dance (even though I have no rythym), but to music I have heard before. Dry humping on the floor to rap, not my thing. Besides, Maureen is young, cute, and can MOVE. I felt like her mother, I stood there holding her purse and jacket, trying to plan my escape, feeling like the overweight, aging blob that I am. Most of the time I can fake having fun. But I was way OUT of my element and comfort zone here, beside I was just thinking of how late it was and my mom that had to be up early. I hated myself for ruining their fun, but since we rode together and my keys were in Leah's car, I was stuck. So, thankfully they took pity upon me and we left. So note to self, next time drive your own car (or at least carry your keys). If I follow these rules, I can leave while I'm still having fun and not drag the other people down. I was too old for this when I was twenty and thirty is downright over the hill. So thanks guys, for taking me out and I'm sorry I ruined your last hour, but I'm too old for that business. I'll leave the hip-hop dancing to the younger, groovy crowd, that won't pull something while trying to shake their groove thang.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Okay, First of all we didn't take pity on you and you didn't ruin our fun. I sorry you felt that way. I too started feeling old. I just wanted you to have fun. We have to find a "grown-up" place to go dance. ......did someone say "CRACKERS"..ha ha

Maureen said...

HA! I had a lot of fun that night, and I didn't really like the club after a while either. I never pity you, I was just inebriated and didnt know you wanted to leave until I finally figured it out. I always want you to tell me if you are feeling uncomfortable 'cause if that's the case then we need to leave- no matter what. That's just the way it works with friends... duh! CRACKERS! OBO HAS CRACKERS?