Monday, January 23, 2006

The greatest gift

A friend at work was asking me about having kids and being a parent, today. There is so much involved that I don't even know how to explain it to someone. Being a parent is the only job that you have to be "on" 24-7, if you are sick, you are tired, you have had a bad day, doesn't matter you still have someone that is depending on you. I wouldn't trade being a mother for anything in the world. Having a child is the most challenging and most rewarding job I have ever had. It has given me such a better view of the "big picture" and has made me focus on the things that are really important in life. I am such a stronger person mentally, because I am more grounded. No matter what, my most important job is being a mom and continuing to learn from my mistakes.

When I was growing up, I always wanted to be married and have two kids. A year or so after Cole was born, I realized that having two kids just wasn't in the cards for me. Even then, I knew my marriage wasn't strong enough and he wasn't the parent that I wanted and needed him to be. I have known some people that have one child and wanted another so bad, they lost focus on what they already had. I promised myself, I would never do that. My own grandmother, STILL says I need to "have another one". I am greatly proud of the child that I have and will never be bitter or focus on what isn't meant to be. My dream of my life has taken a different path, and let's be honest, being a single parent of one child is hard enough. I am lucky that Cole is loved by so many people (Granny, Papa, and Obo) who give him so much love. He will get to experience so many things because he has our undivided attention.

So, I guess what I am saying is...no matter what, you are truly never prepared for having a kid. It's a constant learning process and just when you think you have it figured out, you are thrown a curve-ball. But, it is worth every minute and every set-back. Cole is the greatest gift that my marriage gave me.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Wow!! that was great!! I hope one day I will be able to give 24-7 to a little one like you do. Your a great single mom!!! and Cole will love you even more when he gets older knowing you gave him everything and more.

Maureen said...

You are a great mom. And thanks for the advice :)