Monday, January 16, 2006

Why ask why?

When Cole was an infant I would watch him and dream of the day he could talk. Those first couple of years seemed so quiet (except when pierced by crying) and I would always think, "I wish he could tell me what he wanted." I would talk non-stop to him and pray for the day he could answer back. Well, be careful what you wish for ;-). Now, there is never a moment of silence around the house. Have to go to the bathroom? Cole sits on the stool and talks to me while I conduct my business. Need to shower? Same thing. After I pick him up from school it is non-stop chatter and "stories" which keep me laughing. Followed by, "Mommy, look at this." You can only say "not right now, I'm driving" so many times before you get tired of your own voice. The chatter doesn't bother me, the "why?' drives me insane. I don't mind answering him when it is a legitimate question, but I don't even attempt to make up answers for the "why's" that are meant to slowly drive me insane. The other night we were out to dinner with friends and someone asked "why" and Cole looked sternly at her and said "don't say THAT, my mommy doesn't like that word." She stopped for a minute, repeating to herself what she had said (she thought maybe she said a bad word). She looked at me quizzically until I explained. Way to go COLE! Now, "why" won't he stop saying "why"? Oh yeah, I forget he hasn't made me completely gray yet.

No comments: