Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mealworms and random pics

Here are some random pics that I've been meaning to post: Cole at his last baseball game, Jupiter's Halloween costume, and Cole ready for school this morning.









I taught 3 subjects today even though I'm only required to be assisting with one. I did my first science lesson today. The kids are studying metamorphosis and I asked the teacher if I could do my own thing instead of doing the worksheets and she said go for it. I brought in mealworms that the kids observed and will monitor as they change into beetles. They were so thrilled and hands-on. I didn't tell them what the mealworms would change into and had them make predictions and most predicted butterflies or moths and one student guessed a beetle. After the lesson my teacher said, "Now this is what science should be!". The funny thing was that Cole wanted to do it too, so I brought the leftover mealworms homes, but because we had errands to run and the car was hot, the worms got a trip to the gym and HEB! They are now safely in Cole's room burrowed under their bed of oatmeal.







7 comments:

Vetmommy said...

I remember we did a mealworm unit in 5th grade and I loved it. We also did crayfish -- they lived in little baby pools in the classroom with numbers painted in red fingernail polish on their backs. That year had a big affect on my love for natural science.

Joey said...

Way to go Kareen! Hands on is always best. Think outside the textbook/TAKS! It sounds like you are a natural at teaching.

Emily said...

Cool project.

Cole is just so cute! And your cat looks pretty cute, too, although he/she doesn't look too thrilled about the costume.

Leah said...

I love the costume. Cole looks so grown up. I can't wait to see what the kids think about the mealworms. Your kids are going to love ya.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your success with your teaching and your opportunity to stay permanently!! I have only met you once and found you such a fun and warm person. I don't think you have anything to worry about - you are a natural. And your talent for making science interesting is awesome! Jennifer always loved science and her teachers had a great influence on her just as you are having with your students. Wishing you a great year.

By the way - do you have any pictures of Cole doing his break dancing in Round Rock??? He was an amazing dancing dude!

Bev - Dr. Vetmommy's Mom

Dana said...

I'm glad everything is working out for you. It gives me hope. I knew you would love third graders! I hope you pass the audition!!!!

Vetmommy said...

Missing your internet updates... c'mon, its not like you're working AND going to school!

(just kidding)