Monday, September 01, 2008

Can you hear my heart breaking?

The last time Cole's dad called him was on his 5th birthday, he is 6 1/2 now. Lately Cole has said several times to me that maybe his dad will call him on his 7th birthday. I always have to look away so he can't see the tears in my eyes. Tonight at baseball practice he said out loud to another parent, "My dad lives in New York. He never calls me. Maybe he'll call for my 7th birthday."

I can get over the devastation of someone not loving me anymore, what I can't recover from is the devastation of someone not loving my son.

4 comments:

Dana said...

It just makes me want to kick "R" in the teeth!!!!!

Alissa said...

that is so sad, but he is very lucky to have you! and I think very lucky that R is not involved anyway, I think that would lead to so much more disappointment if he was occasionally around.

Vetmommy said...

It is not because Cole (or you) are unlovable. It is because no one showed him how to love someone else long term, and he didn't want to learn on his own.

On both accounts, his loss. Absolutely.

Leah said...

that just makes me want to cry for Cole (and you). R doesn't know what he is missing.