Sunday, September 14, 2008

Audition

My mentor teacher told the Principal on Friday that she is pregnant and not planning on returning to teach. He asked if I would be interested in taking over for her and when she said yes, he was happy and said to consider this my 4-month audition.

The week was great and while I'm not surprised how quickly I bonded to the kids, I am surprised how quickly that I became comfortable with the other teachers. Typically I'm shy when meeting new people and find it difficult to make connection, I either click with someone or I don't. Luckily I made connections with everyone right away. On Friday, I was involved with my first team planning session and I told them about the idea I had for a unit that I'm required to teach. They were excited and want me to create the unit for the entire grade level. Yikes! I've been working on expanding my idea and gathering materials this weekend.

It's been my experience that most elementary teachers don't enjoy teaching science and since I love science, I have already volunteered to take over science in my classroom. On my nightly neighborhood walks I've been looking for butterflies since this is the next unit we are studying. I hope to find more creepy crawlies!

The only downside is catching my first sore throat...no doubt from all the hugs! It's worth it though!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Congrats!
I love science, too. I'm glad the kids have someone passionate about the subject.

Vetmommy said...

Man, I could not have wished for a happier outcome for you! I know you are a little stressed about the immediate future. This would be wonderful for you, but also for the kids, not to have to break in a teacher foreign to them.

Oh, yeah, and science rocks!

Alissa said...

Wow! That is so amazing- it sounds like it will work out perfectly. I am really excited for you- sounds like the perfect class and school. Yeah for babies!