Monday, September 22, 2008

Flying Solo-ish

Today my mentor teacher had to leave at 11:00 for training. In the district that I am in they are still required to get a sub, but since I will be teaching the sub just sits in the room. Our "sub" was (no exaggeration) a seventyish year old man. He was very sweet and sat and read the entire day.

I have already taken over Social Studies and Science and some of the Language Arts, but always with the fail safe of the teacher in the room. Today I taught those in addition to Math without a fail safe. At this school there is regular Math and Advanced Math. My mentor teacher teaches the advanced math class. Anyone who knows me knows that Math is my nemesis. We have never gotten along. The idea that I would be teaching Advanced Math is a laugh. But teach it I did...and had fun! I got the kids up and moving and involved in the lesson. The kids were happy and relaxed since they already knew me there were no behavior problems. She will be out tomorrow too, so I get to fly solo (sort of) again.

Is my happiness getting old? It is amazing how being truly happy with what you do affects your whole life. I just feel better in general. I feel like the mealworms going through metamorphosis myself. Does that mean that I'll turn into a beetle too?

3 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Hearing your happiness NEVER gets old. I don't know anyone who deserves it more. Kareen, don't you realize? You are morphing into the butterfly you were always meant to be.

The Laukkanen's said...

I was going to say the same thing Jennifer did- a butterfly. But, if you prefer, there are truely some beautiful beetles out in the world as well! This is all so exciting, I wish I were a student in your class...or that my kids were! When you think about it, they must think you are something special to already have mentioned the idea of a job next year! Many a student teacher does not get a potential job offer so early in the student teaching job!

Emily said...

Oh, I'm so glad to hear you are happy! I second Jenn's comment that you absolutely deserve it.