Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What were you doing five years ago today?

Five years ago, after dinner at a local Chinese restaurant, I started going into labor with Cole. I was up all night, with my cat Bandit. He stayed up with me purring on my lap as I stroked him through waves of pain. He still keeps me company and in fact is laying on my lap between me and the laptop (purring and reaching out to "grab" me, just in case I've forgotten he's there) right now.

After being up all night, I headed into the hospital early the next morning and had Cole that same afternoon. How little prepared I was for how much my life would change. I never knew I was capable of that much love, patience, worry, and determination. Having Cole has been the biggest adventure in my life. Despite all the drama and angst in my personal life, he has turned out to be a wonderful kid...I'll pat myself on the back for that one. I hardly remember what my life was like before him. I wouldn't trade all the grumpus mornings and endless questions for anything in the world, because what comes with all that is an endless supply of love and entertainment. These past five years have just flown by. Gone are the cherub rolls of toddlerhood and baby speak. Now there is a large (never ending) vocabulary, a thirst for information, and a growing boy (2 shoes sizes and over and 1 &1/2" since January). I just can hardly believe he is already 5 and will be starting Kindergarten this year!

He'll get to celebrate his birthday at school tomorrow with a pirate ship pinata filled with gold coins, jeweled rings, play money and sparkling necklaces (since his party at the park was rained out, his teacher offered to do the pinata at school). We celebrated his birthday at home, tonight, because I won't be home until late tomorrow night. I start training for the triathlon on his actual birthday. In truth, after his party on Saturday he considers himself "5" anyway.

BTW,his dad did call on Sunday night. He said a package is in the mail for Cole although he doesn't know when it will be here or even what day he sent it??? He promised to call him on his birthday as well. At least he remembered.

Happy Birthday Colebug!

2 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Its hard for me to remember you w/o Colebug, too. I was thinking today of how uncomfortable you were at the end of your pregnancy, but you were still working hard as always. (no one truly believes you would ever slack off, but I digress...)

Yes, you should be proud of Cole. It's too bad your present circumstances can't allow you to give him a brother or sister, because you are a great mom. However, Cole is complete as your "Magnum Opus."

Happy 5th Birthday, CRL! Half a decade!

Leah said...

I didn't know you before you had Cole. But I can see you working as hard as ever even at the end of your pregnancy. I wish I could have your energy.