Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Senseless

As I was walking in the doors of my American Literature class today, administrators came out from the woodwork shouting "Evacuate the building, there has been a bomb threat. Don't stop to collect your things, leave now!" This is the second bomb threat at Texas State in the last few weeks. The last threat was on Friday, when I'm not on campus. I casually went back down the four flights of stairs I had just ascended. It's the boy who cried wolf. No one takes this seriously. Some dumb student who probably didn't study for a test makes an empty threat because he/she knows the schools will have to take them seriously, especially after the recent shootings at Virginia Tech. Senseless violence and threats of violence make me so mad. I just don't understand people sometimes. The world is a scary place.

I wonder how much tax dollars this empty threat cost? The building was closed for four hours, police tape put up, campus and local police on site, SWAT team, fire and rescue teams too. The majority of students were mad, but a few were cheering and I just kept thinking "Man are you shallow and stupid." The sad thing is that people become so numb to these things that if god forbid it happens for real, no one will take it seriously.

At least I only have 1 more day of school left until finals, so I hopefully won't have to put up with this nonsense much longer.

2 comments:

Dana said...

I agree with "the boy who cried wolf" theory. There's threat after threat after threat and when you've become numb to them, that's when they'll hit. Can we ever let down our guard again. So much was lost on 9/11. I feel bad for the students that would call in a threat just to get out of a test--and you know that they are out there doing that exact same thing. Terrorist threats are a felony now...they'll do some hard time--just to get out of a test. If they're caught. And you know if one is dumb enough to do it, they're dumb enough to get caught.
Missed you on Monday! Don't know what I'll do without you when you go to Florida!

Anonymous said...

I like your blog, hope you do not mind me responding to your recent post.

This reminds me when I was in high school, a kid called in several bomb threats, ofcourse none were true. Thanks to his bragging, the police caught up with him and he was expelled from school

Scott