Monday, January 15, 2007

Visit with Dad

Cole's dad is working in Houston for 8 weeks. He came to Austin this past weekend. We spoke to him on Friday and he was going to spend Saturday with Cole and was going to call first thing in the morning to make plans. He didn't call until after 12:00 which I find so frustrating since he hasn't seen Cole since May. It was pouring down rain and half the town was seeing some flooding, so plans were limited. My mom and I had decided to take Cole to a movie (since we hadn't heard from him) so I suggested he take him. He agreed and we met at the mall. I had been talking to Cole about seeing his dad so he was excited and went running towards him as soon as he saw him. Both my mom and I got teary eyed. The exchanged a long hung and I handed him the car seat and sent them on their way. They went to a movie and my mom and I went to another. Cole's dad wanted to go to the bookstore afterwards so he took Cole. After our movie was over I called him and he needed to bring Cole back to me because he had dinner plans. We met up again and he said that he wanted to come watch Cole play hockey on Sunday. I said that he was welcome to have Cole on Sunday before hockey if he wanted to spend some more time with him. He crumpled up his face, like I had just spit into his coffee and then offered him a drink. Ummm, okay guess not. We didn't hear from him until about 15 minutes before hockey started on Sunday. He was late because he went to the wrong hockey rink, but did make it. So I peacefully sat next to him throughout the practice and made small talk (I'm grimacing as I type this). Cole did seem to enjoy seeing him and hopefully he'll come visit him a few more times. All I ever wanted is for them to have a relationship, so baby steps are better than none at all.

3 comments:

Vetmommy said...

I am glad he is doing something, even if it is just a token at this point. Cole deserves a dad, and hopefully R. will step up (as much as he can from such a distance).

Leah said...

I am really glad that he made it to see Cole play. I hope he realizes how much he is missing. I love Cole E Bug. I hope R saw what a great kid he is.

Joey said...

I still don't understand how a father can be as distant as he is with his own son. If I were in his shoes, I would have spent every possible minute I could with Cole. I just really don't get him. Thank goodness you are such an amazing mom.