Thursday, January 11, 2007

At the Y-M-C-A

As I mentioned in a previous post Cole and I joined the YMCA. We have really enjoyed it thus far. The sound of the racquetball reverberating off the wall, the squeak of the tennis shoes on the basketball court, and sweating old men (which when I was a kid were probably mid-twenties, early thirties), feel like home to me. Growing up my dad ran the Air Force base gym. As kids, my brother and I spent our summer "vacations" at work with him. We would get up before the sun came up and spent the entire day there. We would play tennis, basketball, racquetball, run the track and swim all day....it was a kids paradise.

The YMCA reminds me so much of that time. Except now the sweating old men are in their late 40's, 50's and even older. Not a "meatheads" or "barbies" in sight. It is so kid friendly. Cole and I have been going almost nightly (not Sunday's gotta rest some time). They have a great mini-gym that Cole can play in why I get my work-out done and every night afterwards we do something together, hula-hoop, basketball, or most often chase each other around the track.

I signed up for five personal training sessions. My personal trainer is Seymore, he's middle-aged, very tall and sinewy and quite dorky actually. He has a very calm and mild manner. We had our first sessions tonight. I thought I was going to die. I haven't worked that hard in years. I was mentally cussing Seymore and myself for getting this way in the first place (ahhh what depression and stress can do to you). I was sweating like a pig (do pigs sweat?) , gallons and gallons of sweat. About halfway through the hour long training session, I asked Seymore if he was trying to kill me, I reminded him that it took me years to get my body this way and we didn't have to try to completely change it in one night, he cracked up.....I wasn't kidding! I'm sore in places I never knew existed. Afterwards we had a great stretching sessions and I was so sore and dying I didn't even care that he was touching my legs (to help me stretch).

After my suicide training session, Cole and I did "Mommy and me" Yoga. Seymore is also the instructor (his mild manner is great with the kids). It was so much fun. There were about 15 people in the class and Cole and I both had a wonderful time...even though every move caused me intense agony. Anyway...over two hours after arriving we went home and I took a scalding hot shower, took some Tylenol and said a prayer that I will be able to walk tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

You're too funny! I remember spending summer days with you at the Bergstrom gym...that must have been the coolest job. Let me know if you enroll Cole in any YMCA sports. I need to find something for the twins. DS is too expensive for all three kids.