Friday, June 09, 2006

This time next year...

Well, Randy leaves for NY tomorrow. He finally called me @ 5:15pm to see if he could come say goodbye to Cole. I said yes, but told him that he would need to be at my house by 6:00 pm because my exercise class was @ 6:30, he showed up at 6:20..URGHH. When I got home a little after 8:00 pm, we spoke for a few minutes and then he said was going to go. He gave Cole a hug and said "I love you, be good for your mom. Remember I'm moving to New York and won't see you for a year or so. Maybe, this time next year you can come visit me for a few weeks, I'll talk to your mom". Cole said he only wanted to go to NY with me and Randy replied, "No, your mom HATES NY" and shot me a look. I didn't even respond, because the details of how Cole would even get to NY, I'm sure have never even been considered. He promised to call every Sunday & Wednesday, even though he doesn't speak to him twice a week now. He gave him another quick hug and left. Well, that's it folks, my bet is next year, will turn into never, but we will see.

Just for the record, the only reason I hated NY was because I was two months pregnant when we went to visit for a week. I was in full blown morning sickness (read vomiting and so extremely exhausted) and the ONLY thing we did was hang out with his friends until the wee hours of the morning while they smoked and drank (until Randy was too drunk to tell me how to drive back to his foster parent's house). The rooms would be so filled with smoke you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. The type of environment every pregnant women wants to be in (even without morning sickness). His foster parents were not the nicest people (also chained smoked in their house) and his foster dad got out a plastic bat (Mr. Yellow...the bat even had a name) to hit one of the foster kids (because he got down from the table w/o asking) until I got upset. (The kid was only 3 and there because his mom abused him, for god sake...also he put the kid in timeout for 30 minutes....a three year old in timeout for 30 minutes!!!). His foster mom was upset because the kid and his younger brother bonded to me immediately (probably because I played with them and didn't scream @ them all day, like she did). Randy said that his mom used to have a lot of patience with foster kids, but she was too old now. Well, I guess she shouldn't still be fostering them then! I know they gave Randy a better home than he would have had otherwise, but jeez, they were beyond the point of continuing to foster kids. I couldn't even imagine how hard it would be to foster kids (I would want to keep them all), but still, it was very upsetting. Besides all that, there was a heat wave and it was around 100 all week long and they don't have AC up there. Yeah, I had a lot of reasons to love New York.

2 comments:

Vetmommy said...

So it ends, not with a bang but a whimper.

Sounds like a lousy trip to NY.

Leah said...

I am so sorry about Randy's "good bye" to Cole. I just wanted to cry and I am not sure why. To bad Randy is going to miss out on how great Cole is and what a loss it is going to be to not see him grow into a wonderful man.