Thursday, March 08, 2007

Visual Imagery

I had four research papers due this week and I'm tired. In addition to those papers in my American Lit class we could submit a short paper for extra credit. Even though I have a solid A I decided to do the extra credit assignment. Our topic was writing a paper of a paragraph or two that "evoked visual imagery". This was my submission.

Sink or swim

Last year I went through a divorce. When I think back to that long torturous summer as the decision was being made to separate I can only compare it to one thing. To me it was like being immersed under water with unseen hands holding you underneath the surface. At first, you kick and scream fighting with every ounce of your being. The will to survive overpowers everything. Occasionally you break free to the surface and can take a gulp of air, but those unseeing hands push you back under. Then the fear sets in, your limbs grow weak and weary and you fight less and less to get to the surface, you get close to the surface, but not close enough to take a breath. Your chest hurts and limbs begin to grow heavy, but you still kick, but those hands don't let go. The view of the surface grows hazier and hazier as your whole body begins ache and your chest begins to explode. Eventually when you are too weak to struggle those hands let you go. You have two choices, you can give up because you are tired of struggling and sink slowly to the bottom. Or you can look inward and using the tiny amount of strength you have left push to the top. Once there you can float as long as you need to regain your strength and then start to swim, never looking back. I chose to swim.

My professor's response "In a "sea" of over 200 students, your paper was one of the best. Thanks for submitting something so personal, it was a welcome relief from the papers full of "the lush green hills...". Here's my message to you, alway keep swimming."

I got my bonus points! I wish he would have written, "in the words of Dory...just keep swimming, just keep swimming." A Nemo reference that would have been funny. But I'll take his compliment.

4 comments:

Leah said...

What an awsome paper....if only I could write like that....Kareen, here is your Nemo reference...."just keep swimming, just keep swimming." I will be there to throw a floaty when you need one.

Leah said...

boy...now that I read back on that comment....how sappy...sorry...HA HA

Vetmommy said...

That was some pretty powerful imagery. Yeah, next time you're drowning, let us friends know so we can at least lend an ear... I am so glad you are on this side of the storm now! Swimming than triathlon is going to be a piece of cake!

Joey said...

Great paper. You're a very talented writer. It's meaningful that you pulled from such a personal experience. Since you don't talk much about your feelings (like me), reading this gave me just a little insight to what you've gone through. You're a strong woman, and I really admire you.