Saturday, March 24, 2007

The power of words

Last night was Cole’s first T-ball game. It was a hellacious day at work. I had to leave at 5:00pm because he had to be on the field at 5:30pm. I thought there was no way I was going to be able to get out of there on time. I left about 10 minutes late, feeling like shit because I was leaving chaos and couldn’t stay to help and because I was leaving late, getting my son to his first game late. I rushed to daycare picked Cole up and shuttled him into the car. Since I knew we would be rushed I had packed a banana and a pop tart for him to eat on the way. As I praying for green lights and rushing to the game, I handed him his snacks. He says, “WOW, mom you always remember to take care of me. Thank you so much for the snacks and for the favors you do for me. I love you.” My heart melted. Gone immediately was the sense of panic and frustration.

We arrived late to the game. I hurriedly got Cole dressed. His coach was SO happy to see him because he thought they were going to have to forfeit the game because they were short one player. The game was great. Cole played catcher, shortstop (he did well, actually stopped the ball and threw it), and played center field. While playing shortstop a runner collided with him and he tumbled to the ground, got back up and was ready to play. He hit three base hits and scored three runs. He cracked us up when he was running; he looks like he ran in slow mo. He had such a good time.

Then last night during his bath he looked up at me and said, “Mom when am I going to have a brother? If I had a brother, I would hug him EVERY day.” I reminded him that you needed a mommy and a daddy to have a baby and he sighed and said, “Okay I’m going to find you a husband then.” So sweet, not going to happen but sweet anyway. When I’m rich from teaching – HA I’ll adopt a brother for him :-)

This morning as I was getting ready to leave for work, he lifted his head from bed and said, “Come give me a hug, I’m going to miss you.” After the hug he said, “I’ll walk you to the door.” My little grown up man. As I left he had snuggled into my mom’s lap, it was a wonderful vision to start my day.

4 comments:

Dana said...

I love the stuff that comes out of that kid's mouth! Sounds like the t-ball is going well. It won't be long before he's being scouted by the Longhorns!! I wanted a little brother when I was younger, too. Then I got one when my mom remarried. Thankfully, this was only temporary!

Luna said...

It's a cheesy movie, I know. But everytime I think of you raising Cole, I think of this movie quote from Jerry Maguire:


What are other women my age
doing right now?


They're out partying
trying to get a man.


Trying to keep a man.

Not me, I'm trying to raise a man.


I think I speak for everyone that reads this blog and knows you when I say how heroic and inspirational you are. Never doubt that you are a GREAT mom. I hope I'm even a fraction as good and caring as you are some day! Love you sweets!

Kat

Vetmommy said...

I was worried about you yesterday when it was 5 o'clock and you hadn't left yet. If I had known THE BIG GAME was that night, I would've pushed you out the door. If anyone deserved to leave, it was YOU!

Cole is so sweet, and he really does appreciate all you do for him. He looked very sporting and very happy in his uniform today.

Can't wait for the post about your triathlon confession.

Leah said...

He is such a great kid. He is growing so fast. He always knows what to say to make you smile.