Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I'm BAAACCK!

We got in today from the CVC (Central Veterinary Conference) in Kansas City, Missouri. All things considered it went pretty well.

I missed Cole like crazy even though I talked to him twice a day. He did well with my parents and they all survived. It seems Cole behaved and Toad the kitten was the one being a pest while I was away. Cole was so happy to see me today. He told me many, many times that he loved me, he loved "my whole self" and I was the best mommy. I brought him home a few things from my trip and he loved everything, even the "Kansas City" shirt I bought him. It's great to be back. I have the rest of the week off to spend with him and relax. He isn't going to Pre-K this week and I was pleased to see he has done his "homework" everynight.

We got to Kansas City on Friday afternoon after a long day of traveling. Luckily we didn't have any delays either way. After we checked into the hotel we headed over to the convention center to check in. Luckily, our hotel was very close. We then grabbed a taxi and headed to a bar/restaurant that Deb had been at before. We ate some dinner and then headed back to the room. In general I HATE sharing a room with a co-worker, it just weird to have to get ready for bed and such with someone you work with and then I'm stressed about snoring. I snore especially bad when my allergies are acting up, which of course they were. But all things considered, the rooming situation went well. Luckily, I have no problem poking fun at my self, so I can take a little teasing.

Saturday we spent an entire day at the conference. I was brain dead at the end of the day. During lunch time we walked by the exhibit hall and took a look at some of the new things out there. I watched a short video on Advantix to score a stuffed puppy for Cole! Saturday night we had dinner plans with our rep from Idexx. I was nervous about dinner. I hate meeting new people. I never know what to say and I always feel like I'm the dumbest one at the table, so I was dreading going. The dinner was held at a very nice restaurant. Our rep and several big-wigs from Idexx, as well as, some other clients were there. We were assigned seats. I sat across from a young-ish vet from Missouri and his technician girlfriend. Luckily they were both very nice and we didn't run out of things to say. The doctor's younger brother lives in Austin and he interviewed here fresh out of vet school. It was great comparing facts about the cities we live in and the places we work.

Sunday I attended another entire day of CE. When we got out I was so mentally tired and stir crazy. Deb was sick and went to bed. I wanted to go do something. I decided to go to the Plaza which is a huge outdoor outlet mall about 15 minutes away. As I was leaving, Deb said, "You are really going to go by yourself?" and I replied," Sure, I've done things by myself for years, it's no big deal!" Okay, so I stretched the truth. I actually HATE doing things alone. I rarely did before I had Cole. Once I had him, I had a constant companion, even when he was a infant and couldn't verbally keep me company I had no problem striking out on "my own". I went downstairs and got the bus schedule. I rode the bus to the Plaza and walked around. I bought Cole a few things and then asked for recommendations to eat dinner. I NEVER eat alone, either. Before I had Cole, I also never would go to a restaurant by myself. I bravely walked in and asked for a table for 1. I had the best ribs, I've ever had and enjoyed a nice relaxing dinner. While I was eating a torrential downpour began, the tornado warning sirens even went off (it was a little strange seeing tornado shelters everywhere). The streets were flooded in minutes. I walked through calf high water heading back towards the bus stop and getting soaked because I was out without an umbrella, but I was still having fun. Finally, I ducked inside the Cheesecake Factory to call a cab, because I was still a long way from the bus stop. I ordered a slice of cheesecake and a coffee to go and walked back out into the downpour to catch my cab. I feel weird in a cab. My mom always told me not to talk to strangers and never except a ride from someone you don't know. Catching a cab is breaking two rules at once. The roads were so flooded it took forever to get back to the hotel, because we keep having to take detours and the visibility was virtually zero (luckily he turned the meter off at every detour). Once back at the hotel I decided to go a concert (again alone) that we were given tickets to. It was Phil Vasser a C&W singer. I had no idea who he was, but heck it was free. The concert was pretty good and I actually knew some of his music. I can't believe I did all of that alone, I shocked myself!

So the rest of the conference was more of the same and pretty uneventful. It rained almost every day and since we haven't seen rain here in quite awhile it was pretty nice. On Sunday the highs were in the mid 80's, which was a nice relief from the heat. Plus, I don't feel so isolated about the challenges I face at work, every clinic had similar stresses/stories as mine.

I'm glad I made it home and got a chance so experience somewhere I've never been before.

5 comments:

Leah said...

It really takes a lot to get out there by yourself. I still haven't mastered going to the movies by myself. I am glad that you were able to get out there and see things. I think I would have had a hard time getting on a bus. I am glad you had a good time. Any pictures?

Vetmommy said...

I'm glad you grew personally and professionally on this trip. You are an interesting and witty person - I think you'd be a great dinner companion!

I'm glad they let you have the rest of the week off to be with Cole, but I miss you at work. See ya Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

BRAVO Kareen-Bravo!
(By-the-way, it's "accept" rides, not except! Sorry, I should be a English teacher.)

Leah said...

UPDATE!!!!!

Vetmommy said...

Ahem, new month, almost half over. I know you're in school and all, but throw us a bone!