Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Perspective

It’s sucks that I needed a kick in the rear to reverse my attitude about my current situation. I got that kick last night. I found that my friend’s brother and sister-in-law’s four year old daughter was just diagnosed with leukemia. Kelly was pregnant with Haley the same time that I was pregnant with Cole. She came and visited me shortly after I had Cole to ask questions about labor and having a newborn. I felt like I was punched in the stomach when I heard the news and it isn’t even my child. I can’t even begin to imagine how they are feeling. Cancer is such a scary word, but even worse when it is applied to a child.

Something happening to Cole is my worst nightmare. The thought of him being sick is frightening. I am always worried that something devastating will happen. I’ve been so busy saying “Whoa, is me.” I should be thankful that we are both happy and healthy and have a safe roof over our head.

It seems like most people I know are constantly whining and focus on what they can’t or don’t have instead of being appreciative of what they do have.

So last night, I hugged Cole a little bit harder and longer, gave him and extra kiss and said a prayer of thanks that we are doing alright. I hope that Haley responds well to treatment and goes on to having a great childhood. I made a promise to myself to cherish what I do have, because it’s true that it could always be worse.

3 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Man, that'll give you perspective! It is so tragic and unfair when children get such horrible diseases.

Leah said...

Give Cole E a kiss and a hug from me...even if he doesn't want one from me...Thanks

Anonymous said...

I have a friend going through the same thing with his child. It is scarey, but there is support out there for the parents. If you want to read something heartwrenching-- because of course, everyone does!--go to http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/inputSiteName.do?method=search&siteName=mileskinkadegraham
Read his story. Prepare yourself for being there for your friend.