Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Afterthought


I called the ex this morning to remind him that he still had not paid child support. Here’s the conversation. Me: “Just calling to remind you that you still need to give me the child support.” Him: “Oh, okay...do you want anything from my apartment?” Me: “From your apartment? No, why?” Him: “Oh yeah, I’m moving to New York in 2 weeks, I meant to call you.” Ummm, gee thanks for letting me know. He has no job and is going to live in his friend’s basement, sounds promising. Later this evening we spoke again about Cole’s health insurance (he is supposed to pay it until Cole’s 18). He went on and on about various aspects of moving. I asked if he was planning on seeing Cole before he moved (since he hasn’t mentioned it). He is leaving the Friday after next as soon as he leaves work. Him: “Oh, yeah, I was planning on seeing him as much as possible”. Me: “Do you want to take him Friday night and have him Saturday?” Him: “Friday, no that won’t work. My friends at work are going to be throwing me a thing.” HELLO!!!! You most likely will never see your son again. But, let’s not disappoint your work friends. By the way, he made no plans to see Cole. I’m so disappointed in him, but most of all, I am disappointed in myself for becoming involved with someone like him. Why can everyone else see what a cool kid Cole is, besides him??? Cole is so much fun and just watching him get a kick out of something, makes my day. It’s something that Randy has never experienced and now never will.

Tonight was no exception. We stopped at Academy to get Cole a “Book ‘Em” Horns t-shirt to go with his new “Book ‘Em” Horns shorts and he just had to have a Scooby-Doo fishing pole. The pole had an orange plastic fish that you could tie on the line. He had the most fun playing with the kitten and that pole this evening. He was doubled over belly laughing rest of the night. It’s a shame that he will never get to experience the joy that his son could bring to his life.


5 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Go easy on yourself. He is not the person he was when you married him, and I'm sure he painted himself as a much better person than the true thing back then too. I am sorry you and Cole are going through this. Good for you for trying even one last time to give him a chance with Cole.

Leah said...

Keep on doing what your doing. Cole will know what his dad is really like in time. You are a great mom. You will always have your friends if you need to talk.

Maureen said...

Randy's loss and Cole's gain. Speaking from experience, it is much better to have one good parent around singly, than to have the one good parent hampered and aggrivated by the "other" parent when that person is around.

Maureen said...

Randy's loss and Cole's gain. Speaking from experience, it is much better to have one good parent around singly, than to have the one good parent hampered and aggrivated by the "other" parent when that person is around.

Maureen said...

P.S. And just think - if you hadn't married Randy there would be no Cole :)