Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Beast is Unleashed

Every morning a body inhabiting beast possesses my darling son. He is NOT a morning person. If he is allowed to wake up on his own, he's charming. But awake him from his slumber and you awake the beast, as well. I learned long ago that the mornings go by smoother if we pick out his clothes and breakfast the night before (I learned this the hard way, let me tell you!)

This morning, as I gently awoke the beast and tried to dress it ( by unwinding the covers the beast had strapped to his body and around his head) I heard the beast utter, "Mommy, you are a ruiner!" "A What, I said?" "A ruiner", the beast muttered. I said, "How am I a ruiner?" He replied, "Because you ruin my sleep." Ahh, how clever the beast is. I chuckled and continued my efforts to tame the beast. The beast growled and mumbled, but at last the beast was dressed. I rewrapped the beast in his cocoon and started to carry him to the car. Suddenly, one of the beast's claws jetted out of a hole in the cocoon and quickly scratched me on the arm. (Thankfully, last night I had trimmed the nails on the body the beast was inhabiting-so no harm was done). I was laughing so much, I almost dropped the beast on the carpet. (I never take anything the beast does personally, after all the beast is a wild animal).

Luckily, in the few minutes it takes to get to daycare, the beast was gone, leaving me with a sleepy yet sweet Cole. Until tomorrow beast, until tomorrow.

No comments: