Sunday, April 30, 2006

Growing Pains

As Cole has breezed through one milestone after another, I find myself becoming increasingly wistful. I have loved watching him grow and change, but it has also been bittersweet. The knowledge that this is the only time in my life that I will get to cherish these moments is always is the back of my mind. It seems like he changed from infancy to toddlerhood, and to being a "big boy" in the blink of an eye. I was looking at him just the other day and marveling at the big boy he has become. Gone is the pudgy cheeks, the rolls on the legs, and the baby tummy. It's been replaced with long limbs and lean muscle. Just this past week, he has been calling me "Mom". "Mom, come look at this." "Mom, let me tell you something." Mom? What happened to Mommy? I'm still Mommy when he is sad or hurt, but for the most part I'm Mom. Mom just seems like a grown-up word. Sigh! I will remember all the changes Cole has gone through because they are forever engraved on my heart and will embrace each new step with gusto. After all, there is nothing I want more in life than for Cole to live a long and be happy.

No comments: