Monday, October 06, 2008

Fred

The last week my parents had two nightly visitors. They visit while we sleep and leave dozens and dozens of divets in their well-manicured front yard and two very large holes. They are armadillos. Armadillos eat grubs and earthworms and since my parents have a sprinkler system that keeps the yard moist, they have an optimum feeding ground. My parents come from two different camps. My dad would prefer that every animal within a 10-mile radius be killed instantly. My mom feeds them all (which causes endless bitching from my dad). So what to do about the armadillos? My dad called several places that poison, NO WAY said my mom. Several calls later, they found a solution. There is a company ran by a husband and wife that live on a large amount of acreage outside of Austin. They catch these critters (and others) and release them on their property. They came out Saturday and laid an elaborate trap. Cole chatted literally non-stop at them the entire time and they didn't even mind. They also had a opossum, a skunk, and a raccoon in their truck. It was like a mini-zoo.

Sunday morning, we had one trapped armadillo. It was very cute up close. Of course Cole wanted to keep it. He named it Fred. We even dug up earthworms to feed it until they could arrive to relocate him. So now the trap is re-set hoping to catch and relocate the other armadillo that has been spotted. Wonder what Cole will name him?

4 comments:

Dana said...

Well, how about Ginger? She may be missing Fred right now:)

Leah said...

awww..I hope they can go together...Ginger will surely be lost with out Fred. (or maybe her name can be Ethel...hmmm)...

Vetmommy said...

As you know, we had an armadillo this summer. He dug up and killed Anthony's beautiful ferns. We solved the problem by scaring him out of our beds a few times, then Anthony peed a few times in the beds (most animals don't like the pee of hunters).

Now if Francesca would just keep the squirrels out of the garden...

Alissa said...

Well- were there any others? I think you should try the pee trick. My Mom tried that for her garden because the deer kept eating everything- I thought it was a bit crazy and funny. Don't think it worked though.