Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Unexpected

I've mentioned before that I paid off my car several months ago. Since then practically every month I've had something go wrong with it and it's been in the shop. Yesterday was a doozie!

I was leaving school at the end of they day and put my car into reverse, it barely moved. I then tried drive and it barely moved---BACKWARD! I shut off the ignition for a few minutes hoping for a miracle, but one didn't arrive. Now it appears my transmission had gone out! After spending some frustrating time on the phone trying to arrange towing, I sat back in my car to wait an hour for the tow-truck. I had to call my mom to see if she could pick Cole up from school for me, find somewhere to have my car towed, etc. I was so stressed.

Finally, the tow truck driver arrived. While he was hooking my car up several parents from my school did offer me a ride which was nice. When I told the driver where I wanted my car towed he said that there would be an overage charge because of the mileage. At this point I didn't even care.

On the way to the shop, we talked about my series of car problems and our families. His daughter is a Veterinarian in Austin and he is very proud of both of his kids. After he dropped me off, I was writing out the check for towing and he looked at me and said, "No! I am not charging you. You have more than enough going on. I just want you to have a nice day and take care of that kid of yours!" I was floored. Does this ever happen? I thanked him profusely and instantly my bad mood had lifted. Not because of the $80 gift but because of the act of kindness. What a great man.

So I still have no word on an estimate for my car (probably a couple of grand :-( a least). I also have had to rent a car in the meantime. Yippee! The funny part is that both of my parents forgot that even though I'm working full-time it's for free, because they both suggested that maybe I should look for a another car. I wish that I could, believe me!

4 comments:

The Laukkanen's said...

I hate when that happens. Why do cars always break down AFTER we get them paid off?! I guess it is better than before when we are making payments as well, but it seems so unfair. I am glad you met someone nice and caring, willing to give someone a break! Did you ask who his daughter is?

Vetmommy said...

Sorry for your car luck! But, you must have some good karma to get a free tow! (yippee)

Joey said...

That tow truck driver was amazing. It's a small consolation prize for what you're about to shell out, but at least it's a reminder of what's really important in life...treating people w/ kindness.

Leah said...

I wish more people could be as kind and giving as this guy. I hope the favor is given back to him when he needs it most.

I see a new car in your future...hmmm lets see....what do we want......SUV....Sports car--RED (yeah!!!) or something with good gas mileage and practical....hmm I vote for the Sports Car in RED....2nd choice SUV for all the kids you will be having..... ;)