Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Busy as ever

When I quit my job to focus on student teaching, I was worried about the extra time I would have on my hands. I was so used to working and going to school full time that I wondered what I would do with my extra time. Now I ask myself, what extra time? I'm as busy as ever. After teaching (still having a blast) my evenings are full.

In addition to meeting with my personal trainer once a week at the gym, my mom and I joined a "team fitness" class that meets 3 nights a week. With the class also comes "cardio homework" so 6 days a week I'm at the gym. Plus, Cole has baseball, karate, and gymnastics. Then there is all the "at home" work that comes with teaching. I'm mid-way through my thematic unit on elections. I spent this weekend making interactive poster boards for Obama and McCain and the issues they represent, voting boxes, ballots, and shopping for all the materials required for the various projects the kids are doing. I'm happy but tired.

There is one big stressor in my life right now though. Cole's baseball. Luckily he only has two games left (if we lose the 1st tournament game). Here is the issue. The league restructured the age requirements and he was required to move up this year to the coach pitch league. The problem with this is that he is a six-year-old playing with 7 - 9 year olds. He is the only 6-year-old on this team and the smallest. Some of the kids outweigh him by 30-40 pounds and are at least a foot taller. Some of these kids are already in 3rd grade. There is a HUGH difference developmentally between a 1st and 3 grader. I've been worried all season about him getting hurt because some of this kids hit the ball amazingly hard. The main problem is his batting though. Cole has had a very difficult time adjusting to hitting the ball when it's thrown vs. off the tee like last year. He has completely given up and is so dejected when it's time for batting practice or game time. He doesn't even try. It's ruined his love of baseball. My dad thinks I should make him quit now. I think that sends him the wrong message. I've spoken to Cole and he wants to finish out the season. What do you think?

2 comments:

Alissa said...

I knew you would be busy and take on lots of extra projects- that is just your nature. I think you will make everything in your classroom so special and amazing- the kids will LOVE it. I am sorry to hear about Cole's team. I think he should finish the season, esp since he wants too. Maybe you can go to a batting cage for him to practice? or throw him some balls? I'll come play with you if you need someone extra.

Vetmommy said...

I think you should support Cole, and if he is willing to stick to it and finish, that's what he should do. Well, hopefully there's only one game left now, right?