Thursday, November 30, 2006

Cat-er-cise

I have a fat cat named Bandit. He is seven years old and weighs 18 pounds. He has had a very rough time since we moved in with my parents. He has never really liked dogs, when he had our dog Bullet, they tolerated each other and lived peacefully because they generally ignored each other.

Since we have moved he stays exclusively in one corner of the house. He stays in my room, Cole's room, or the bathroom which are all adjacent to each other at the end of the hallway. The few times he has tried to venture out he has gotten into a fight with my mom's male dog. He has to eat in my room and they dogs even go in there and bother him, so we are constantly trying to put up baby gates, put the food in high locations, etc. He has been so stressed out he was tearing out patches of hair, every day I would come home to a new bald spot. Before we moved he would play with Toad, since we moved Toad has made friends with my mom's cat and spends the majority of the day chasing and playing with her (as well as, sharing her food and litter box). Toad could care less about the dogs and has truly made my parent's house his own...including sleeping with them in bed. Most days Bandit sits at then door to the bathroom where he can see down the hallway and just stares, he looks so mournful. He gets zero exercise. The moment we enter the bedroom he is starved for attention and WILL NOT leave you alone. I feel sorry for him but when you are trying to do homework he is very annoying. He just mops around day after day.

Last night I had washed my sheets and was making the bed. He was like a torpedo diving over, under and through a sea of teal sheets. He was so funny. I haven't seen him move like that in years. We played for a good thirty minutes, he would gently attack my hands and do somersaults under the covers. So now I know if I want him to get any exercise I will just have to change my sheets daily!

2 comments:

Leah said...

Poor Bandit...maybe he needs new toys, or a window seat so he can look outside. I had a cat that use to play with me when I made the bed. I would "hide" behind the pillow and she would attack me. She chase the waves..it was so funny. Now she choose to stay in the garage at night and outside during the day. She sits at the cat door and meows like she wants in to sleep on the computer like she us to. But once in she quickly retreats to the safty of the garage. I am sorry Bandit is having a hard time adjusting. Hang in there Banit..mom is doing what she has to and things will get better.

Vetmommy said...

I loved that visual of a seal diving through teal sheets! Poor Bandit, at least he knows you love him.