Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Parenting Advice

It seems like anyone is ready to dish their unsolicited parenting advice at a moment's notice. Now don't get me wrong. I want, need, and appreciate advice. I read many articles, books, websites, have asked advice from my pediatrician, family, friends, teachers, etc. There are some people, however, I just smile and nod as they give me advice. This week a co-worker went off on the fact that Cole is in hockey. She said numerous things, one thing that struck me as the funniest was that I should "just let him watch hockey on TV instead of wasting my money letting him play." Gee thanks, that's great advice, setting him in front of the TV instead of physical activity, I'll take that under consideration. I've had people tell me, "You'll make him gay" because he takes gymnastics/dance at daycare. He will be a "momma's boy" because I'm not married. Now I will be the first to admit that I've made mistakes and will continue to make mistakes along the way. That is how you learn to parent. No one is perfect, but making him a "momma's boy" or "sitting him in front of the TV" is advice I'll choose to ignore. Before I had Cole, I thought I knew how I wanted to parent, but the truth is nothing in life goes as plans. You have to be willing to be creative, flexible, patient, firm yet yielding, loving, and tireless to be a parent, even then the job isn't done.

After all...."Raising kids is part joy and part guerilla warfare" - Ed Asner

2 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Yeah, it pays to be choosy when it comes to parenting advice. Especially when coming from a non-parent.

Leah said...

I can't believe some said to let him watch it on tv. That is whats wrong with the kids now. They sit in front of a damn tv and get no physical activity. Buy doing this you teach them how to be lazy and fat. You can't MAKE someone be gay either. What you will do is make him a better person. Well rounded, show him what is out there. I have no clue on how to be a parent and I will never give advice on that. It takes a special person to be a mom. I am glad that these people giving you advise do not have kids. I am glad you can just smile at them...because frankly, I would tell them to keep their advice to themselves. YOUR DOING GREAT with Cole...he is a very caring, loving little man.