Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Just because you are old it doesn't give you a right to be rude!

Two nights ago, Cole and I stopped at KFC after work/school, before hitting the gym. Across the street from KFC is an apartment complex that had caught fire sometime during the day. There was a lot of fire damage and the firemen and clean-up crews were still hard at work. Cole LOVES firemen (don't mind them myself) and was enthralled. As we were walking into KFC, he was talking in a normal toddler voice and said he wanted to go sit next to the window to watch the fireman. As he was talking, an old man and old woman (older than my grandparents) turned and glared at us. I just looked at them, thinking "what is their problem?" Cole went to sit by the window (several tables away) and was glued to the apartment/firemen the entire meal. While he was eating, he was talking (again in a NORMAL toddler voice) "the firemen are working", "look they are moving their things", "why are people taking pictures?" "why did the fire burn the apartment?", etc. I could overhear the older couple going on and on about "kids have no manners these days", "kids should be seen and not heard", "kids are so hyper because parents give them coke and then ignore them when they act out", etc. The woman, kept looking over her shoulder and glaring at us. When I hear people talking about Cole, I get very upset and angry. But, I was giving myself the mental pep-talk, "just ignore them, be the bigger person, etc." After all, Cole was speaking NORMALLY, was GLUED to his seat, not up running around, and we were eating at friggin' KFC. So, there I was be the bigger person, while the comments continued and then the man loudly said, "if that was my grandson, I would put him over my knee and spank his ass." Excuse me? That was it!!!!!! I walked over to the table and asked if there was a problem and the man said "we came hear for a quiet dinner and your son hasn't shut up once" and repeated the "children should be seen and not heard." "A quiet dinner?" I said, "I'm sorry I missed the valet parking out front and the four star restaurant , I thought we are at KFC." It continued from there. Poor Cole never even turned around, he was still SITTING there looking out the window.

I just couldn't believe the nerve of some people. If they wanted a different table they should have asked the waiter to move them...oh wait...I'm sorry, we were at KFC!!! A few minutes later as the couple began to walking out, two more families were coming in and the old man turned to his wife and said "good thing we are leaving, there are more unbehaved kids coming in".

The next time I take Cole out for some fast food, I will make sure we are dressed in our formal wear and I tape his mouth shut, like a proper mother should! Or....maybe not....maybe I will sit and enjoy my son's wonderful stories and play-by-play of things around him and hope all the old, unhappy, rude people go to Luby's were they can enjoy other old people!

2 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Some people's idea of living is finding fault with every thing around them. What a sad way to live, especially when it brings those around them down, too.

Maureen said...

Luby's! HA! Have I told you lately that I love you?LOL