Monday, February 20, 2006

Cranky Panky

Cole has been taking ice skating lessons the past several Saturdays. He has been wanting me to skate with him, but because there are lessons after his, I haven't been able to. Well, this Saturday I promised we would come back on Sunday and skate together. Sunday was freezing and raining and all I wanted to do was stay in bed, but Cole remembered my promise...dang! He hasn't been feeling well the past week or so, but seemed to be in a good mood. When we got to the ice rink he became clingy and needy. He wanted to hold my hand and whine the entire time. He skated worse than before his lessons. If I suggested he do something, he said "I don't know how" or "I can't", "Hold my hands, mommy". But, when I suggested we stop, he didn't want to do that either. After 1 lap he needed to go potty, the bathrooms are downstairs and he wanted me to carry him (with my skates on) downstairs...doesn't he know what a klutz I am? Luckily, my mom was there and she carried him downstairs. We skated (slowly) for about an hour. He did great( when he was wasn't trying to pout), he would skate semi-fast and kept his balance. But then he'd remember that he was supposed to be pouting and he grasp my hands and fall. Towards the end, he wanted to skate in the middle circle (which they have blocked off for the fancy, spinning, jumping skaters) and when I said we weren't allowed, he threw himself on the ice in a full blown crying pout (arms crossed, puffed out, turned down lower lip). The skating guard came rushing over to see if he was okay and what happened. I said, "just a 3 year old tantrum" and he smiled and said, "Oh, can't help you there." What, can't help me? please, please, help me! Once, I had safely moved him off the ice he was good (for the moment at least).

My mom and I had planned on seeing a new exhibit at the Texas Museum so we gamely took him. They have a short movie on the story of Texas which he enjoyed (loud thunder/cannon shots, rattlesnake noises, and misting rain). We went to see the exhibit and he was trying to climb under the display cases and such. When I picked him up, he yelled "don't touch me". So, we went to the gift shop, while my mom finished looking around. At the gift shop... another trantrum, when I wouldn't allow him to get a horse-on-a-pole. He already has one, at my mom's that he rarely plays with. "Mommy, you're mean."(Cue, pouty lip) Yup, that's me...mean. When it was time to leave, he ran away from me and I had to chase him down. Boy, I was having fun!!! On the way back to the car, he said that I was "mean and not being nice." I said, that he wasn't listening to my words. He smirked and said, "I'm going to put you in time out." I said, "no, I will put you in time out". He said, "If you put me in time out I'll kick your butt". Trying not to laugh, I mumbled a reply and THEN he said, "I'll break your legs". What??? My mom was doubled over laughing. The things he comes up with, sometimes. Really, 90% (okay maybe 75%) of the time, he listens to me, honestly. It wouldn't be so funny if he was saying it mean...he is just so matter-of-fact.

We went and had dinner at my parents, where he continued to whine. He fell asleep on the way home at 5:30 (which never happens). YIPEEE!!!YEAH!!!!ALL RIGHT!!!! So, I know he was tired and didn't feel good. I'm pleased to report that he woke up in a great mood this morning and we had a great time this evening after school/work.

2 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Sounds like he might have been fighting off a virus. They do have their trying moments, eh? He is lucky to have such an active mom, willing to take him on these adventures, and to see the humor in his cranky statements!

Leah said...

I truly do not know how you do it. I am so tried just reading this. I think I would have pulled out my hair before he had to go potty. LOL. Maybe this is a good thing I don't have kids. Your are amazing. I hope Cole knows that he really has a great mom.