Sunday, December 16, 2007

Franklin

In Cole's class each student is "star of the week". They create an "all about me" poster and most importantly they get to bring home "Franklin" for the week. Franklin is a stuffed turtle. He comes in his own traveling suitcase and books. Each child is supposed to have pictures taken of them and Franklin doing things together to add to a class book. This was Cole's week. We took Franklin to karate, to the grocery store, etc. Cole really wanted to take him to the trail of lights. We had planned on going last night but it was very cold and way too windy. He was disappointed.

Today was a beautiful day. We decided to take "Franklin" to a local spot that you can climb and have a vantage point to see the lake. We headed out with my grandma and mom. We got some great pictures and we were having a great time. I was being so careful with Cole on the slippery rocks the entire time. On the way down the stone steps, I was still holding onto Cole's hand watching out for him, when...you guessed it I fell! I'm not even sure what exactly I did, I heard a pop as my ankle twisted under me. I knew immediately, it wasn't just a twist. Some guy a few feet in front of me turned around to help, but I tried to laugh and say it was okay. My mom and grandma were pretty far behind us and saw me sitting on the steps. It started to swell immediately. I didn't want to go to the doctor but went about an hour later when the swelling continued to get worse and I could barely put any weight on it. So three x-rays later there is no obvious fracture. The doctor said there was so much swelling he could have missed a small fracture, so if I'm not feeling better by Friday I will need more x-rays. For now I have to wear a splint for several days, no weight-bearing which means crutches! Oh, yeah and it's my driving foot. I'm not sure how I'm going to get to work and around work tomorrow. Plus, my armpits already hurt from the crutches. I'm such a klutz! At least it's not broken.

Cole has been very sweet and has been taking care of me. Of course he's envious that he doesn't have crutches, too.

4 comments:

Vetmommy said...

I am so sorry this happened to you, but I am glad at least it wasn't during the school year, like you said!

Get well, soon!

Emily said...

So sorry you fell! My uncle had an icy fall that sounds similar years ago, and although it was all soft tissue damage, he had to wear a boot. Sometimes it seems torn tendons or ligaments take even longer to heal than a broken bone would. Hope you heal quickly!

Vetmommy said...

I have to admit, you looked pretty funny on the crutches today, and I finally figured out why: usually you are so capable, taking care of everything and everyone, it is WEIRD to see you helpless!

Leah said...

Maybe with your foot being up you can TRY and relax... But knowing you...you will be up and running like crazy in a day or two. Maybe this is a sign you really need to slow down and take it easy. I am sorry that this happened. At least it happened at the end of your grandmothers stay.