Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Pleasantly surprised

We are two nights into my dad picking up and watching Cole and things are going surprisingly well. They have both been in great moods when I've gotten home. Last night my dad even took Cole to dinner at a restaurant ALONE!!!! He has even given him a bath both nights, which is one more baths than his dad ever gave him and probably two more than my dad ever gave my brother or I :-) Tonight when I called they were playing Transformers and having a good time. I hope the rest of the week goes as well.

My grandfather is off the ventilator and awake but still not talking. They have also found a mass on his lungs which they are 99% sure is cancer, but are waiting for the pathology results. They seemed to have caught the sepsis early enough the antibiotics are helping. Even though my mom had prepared for the shock of seeing him it was still awful. They are talking about once he is stabilized they will send him to a nursing home. My mom and grandma are going to check out a couple tomorrow. The nurse told my mom today that it is unlikely he will ever leave the nursing home. At least my mom is there to help my grandma face reality and make some much needed decisions.

2 comments:

Vetmommy said...

I'm glad things are going well with Cole's grandpa. Its funny how our dads perspectives about their role can change with the new generation. And a coupla decades.

I am very sorry about YOUR grandpa, though. I'm glad your mom is there, where it sounds like she is needed in many ways.

Emily said...

Oh, how sad about your grandpa. I'll keep you in my prayers.

I'm glad Cole and your dad are doing well! That's great news. Last week, when my parents took care of Jenn's kids, my dad mentioned how much he enjoyed spending time with Colin. Pretty amazing, since he has such limited patience for children and usually just complains!