Friday, December 05, 2008

Final Day

Today was my last day of student teaching. I was so so sad to say goodbye to the kids. They gave me a great send-off. A few of the moms organized a pizza party. We had pizza and a gigantic cookie cake. I gave the kids their small gifts (erasers, pencils and bookmark with a personal note) and they were thrilled. I got a beautiful book with heartfelt notes from each kid, a picture of me and the class in a frame that all the kids signed, a handmade ornament from one boy, a bouquet of flowers from another, another bouquet from the class that included roses made from cash, and a gift card to a book store from the 3rd grade team. It was truly humbling and amazing. I was teary all day. After a swarm of hugs and a chorus of goodbyes, I left. I will miss them.

Sadly, I will not be taking over for the teacher when she goes on maternity leave. Because the information that I post here could be found while I'm job seeking, I'll share the details with you in person, if you care. I'll just say, the teachers, the parents, the kids, and myself are sad. Next week will find me doing what doesn't come naturally to me and that is being bold, assertive, and selling myself. I will have to make visits to schools, ask to speak to the principals, and try to sell myself. I can hardly wait...but momma has got to start working for pay again.

2 comments:

The Laukkanen's said...

Oh how sad-and heartwarming at the same time! I am so glad that you love teaching. Best of luck finding that perfect job! It is out there...and I do want to hear more details!

Leah said...

You will find that perfect school. I too want to hear the details.