Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Don't blink because you'll miss it

I can't believe that in a few short weeks that Cole will be done with Kindergarten. Six years has been a whirlwind. He has his funny sayings, facial expressions, mannerisms, and 'tude. He is still mine but also his own.

It seems like everyone I know is pregnant, planning on getting pregnant, or a new mother. It makes me so nostalgic. If I'd known then that Cole was going to be the only child I'd have, would I have done anything different? No, I don't think so. I tell everyone to treasure every minute... I have. It seems like you can't wait for them to smile their first smile, then see their first tooth grow in, and start talking and walking. You study every tiny detail them of them at night as you read them a bedtime story and they drift off to sleep. Before you know it, getting them to be quite for a minute is the trick, then the first baby teeth are falling out and they are reading to you before bed. It's like your life is stuck in fast forward, you are afraid to blink because you might miss something.

3 comments:

Vetmommy said...

A precious life stuck in fast forward - you summed it up exactly.

Dana said...

You don't know that Cole is going to be your only child. He is one incredible kid, though. Tough act to follow. I would love to be a mom. It makes me angry that there are some people in the world--and you know of whom I speak--who would take the gift of being a mother and and trash it as an "inconvenience".

Joey said...

Maybe I still fall into the "new mother" category. I definitely don't fit the other 2!! Yes, life goes FAST. The unexpected gift I have found in James is savoring the little things. With Faith & Cole, life was too fast. I feel like I missed a lot. With James I have more time (minus the last 3 months) to really enjoy everything. Dare I say it...it's almost like his babyhood and toddlerhood is lingering a little. I think after the 1st two, I realized how precious time is, and I enjoy stopping and smelling the poopy pants, um I mean roses.