Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Purgatory

If there is hell on Earth, I think maybe I have found it. For one of my classes I need my social security card, no problem right? I keep my card and Cole's together, the only problem is that when I went to get them out, they are both missing. I've torn my things apart but can't find them. I'm sure they will turn up eventually, but I need mine by next Tuesday. With my crazy school/work schedule the only free time I had to get new cards was two hours this morning.

Last night I printed out the forms I needed and gathered the required paperwork that was listed online. This morning in the freezing, foggy weather I headed to the local social security office to get replacement cards. Of course, it was rush-hour traffic that moved at a snail's pace. Once there, I stepped through the gates of hell. I checked in and got the number A66, they were on 21 when I arrived. The lobby was full and there was almost no where to sit to begin the long wait. They had plenty of windows to serve people, but most where closed and the remaining ones that were open weren't moving very fast. Plus, the office had only been open and hour, but the kept closing remaining windows so people could take a breaks. I watched one unfriendly clerk after another provide "service" to the waiting public. Over an hour later and they still were on A41....grrrr. Another hour later when they finally called my name, I hurried to the window and gave a smile and said "hello".... the unfriendly zombie never looked my way. She literally snatched the paperwork from my hand. She never once looked at me or said a word. She typed my information into her computer. I kept looking at her, waiting for horns to sprout from her head, fire to come out of her mouth, or her head to spin around and spew green bile. Letting out a big sigh, she got up from her desk to retrieve a form from the printer and tossed it on the desk for me to sign. When I told her that I still needed to get a card for my son, she pushed his birth certificate back to me and told me they can't use those. What? I said on-line it said to bring it, but she said that isn't true anymore. She really needed a picture ID....for a five-year-old? Now I have to call his doctor's office to have them write a letter with his date of birth and etc. to give the the SS office. No more trips to the SS office for me, I will be mailing Cole's request in... As I stood up to leave, she said my card would be in the mail in 7-10 days and to make sure I "don't lose this one". Gee thanks for the advice, friendly SS clerk. Have a great day.

I will add SS office worker to my list of jobs I would NEVER do....like bill collecting. What job would you never do?

6 comments:

Joey said...

Sadly, I have to say I would never be a receptionist at any office, including a vet clinic! I do daydream every once in awhile about having a "cubicle" job where my presence or absence would not be noticed so much & I would have little to no interaction with the public. I don't daydream this often, but every once in awhile...

Anne B said...

I had a similar experience at the SS office when I changed my last name. It was like the room that time forgot and made DPS seem like Disney World. The one job I would never do again is retail sales. I hated standing up all day and dusting. All the music they played at Pottery Barn still drives me mad to this day!

Vetmommy said...

I could never be a cop or a lawyer, but I like watching TV shows about them!

I also could not work at a shelter where I had to euthanize healthy dogs and cats everyday. I'd rather work at a slaughterhouse (but I'd really hate that job, too).

Dana said...

Ahhh...the world of federal government jobs. On our worst day, it's not as bad as that. How would you like to work with people like that all day long?

After Stacy told me about reading water meters and lifting the metal plates up on the ground to look at the meter watching the water bugs (REALLY: Great-Big-Flying-Roaches!)scatter, I decided that I would NEVER do that job. I guess I should never work for an entomologist either.

Alissa said...

I remember having to stand in those horrible lines to change my name after I got married. I think waiters and waitresses suffer a lot of abuse and are usually underappreciated. I think everyone should have to wait tables at some point-they may learn to be nicer and tip more. (I was a waitress during High school)

Emily said...

Yeah, changing your name and having to get a new SS card sucks...and then getting a divorce and changing it back, and then getting married again and so on and so forth. I don't know if I'll ever change my name again!

I once heard a radio station contest where they asked listeners to call in with the worst job. The guy who won has to suit up in scuba gear and clean the poop out of Shamu's tank. No thanks!