Sunday, January 13, 2008

Where has the time gone?

It seems like time is just passing us by. As I spent the day with Cole today, I felt like I was watching him through new eyes. "Did he get this big overnight?", I thought to myself more than once today. We went shopping for new baseball cleats and tennis shoes that he's outgrown since the fall. As I watched him walk down the aisle picking out his own shoes to try on, in his slightly too short jeans that I just bought at the start of the school year, I couldn't stop staring at him. He just seemed like such a grown up kid browsing the shoes and looking for his size in the styles he liked. It seems like just yesterday I was picking out cute toddler shoes for him while he chubby toddler fingers grasped mine.

After shopping and lunch we headed out to get him a haircut. On the drive there he said, "I'm going to get a number 2 today." I had no idea what he was talking about. When I asked him what he meant, he said in his gee you're so silly mom voice, "the haircutting number, mom." The blade size, he knows the blade size? I can't even remember what size he usually gets, I usually ask the stylist what she recommends. I spent the entire time staring at him in the mirror while he got his haircut. I felt like I should permanently record every thing about him, if I looked away and turned around again, he might be 12 or something.

Time is a crazy thing. On one hand, I want time to fly. I want to be done with school, out of my parent's house and into a house of my own, and hopefully moved on with my life. But on the other hand, I want to hit the pause button. I want to be able to really enjoy this time with Cole, to make him grow up a little slower. Since he's my only child, I only get to go through these stages once and I want them to last just a little longer.

4 comments:

Emily said...

So sweet. Isn't it great that you have a blog to use as a diary and can look back at some of the hilarious and witty things he has said?
(I can't believe he knew the blade number!)

Vetmommy said...

I hate to think of my kids growing up and becoming sullen teenagers. Colin recently has started saying he doesn't want to grow up. He doesn't want to have to go the grown up's school (work). He thought he wanted to stay 4, until I reminded him he had to be 5 to go to Anna's school. He's way to big, but I carry him for short periods when ever I can. He requests it, too. You are right: it is not going to last long...

Joey said...

That's so funny you would post this now. I had that exact moment yesterday w/ James. I sat at the table watching him eat for almost 20 minutes. Everyone else was done, but he was just taking his time eating the spaghetti one noodle at a time. I tried to remember how Faith and Cole looked at that age when they were eating. All I could see was James. I couldn't even picture the other 2 at that age. So I sat there and studied James, trying to burn his image onto my brain permanently for fear that in a couple of years I won't remember this in detail either. I'm thankful that everyday is a new "memory", I just wish I could remember all the detail of days gone by.

Alissa said...

I am really looking forward to the parenting memories. At least you will always have something precious and new to remember with each new year of growth.