Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Not for the squeamish

Last night I was talking to one of the doctors at work, Joey. Her daughter had swallowed a dime and they were instructed to examine her stool for the 'treasure'. If it hadn't appeared in three days, then she would need to go in for x-rays. Laughing she said she already knew that she would be the one who would get the digging honors. Human bodily functions gross out her husband (but we enjoy them, JK).

I was thinking about my 'throw up kid'. Cole has had an easy gag reflex since he was an infant. Crying too hard, coughing, swallowed wrong, too much food in the mouth all cause him to throw up.

When he was an infant it seemed like once a week I got a call from his daycare stating he was vomiting. To allow him to return, I would have to provide a doctor's note. Finally, my pediatrician wrote a note telling them that he just had an easy gag reflex and would vomit easily. The calls ceased. As a matter of a fact I can only remember one time when he actually was ill and vomiting.

I've had vomit in my car, caught vomit in my hand and in my dinner napkin, just to name a few. The most memorable time was at the mall when I was carrying him in a infant backpack. He vomited in my hair, down the back of my shirt, down my underwear and pants, into my socks. Thanks bud!

Not one swimming season has passed where I haven't had to rush him to the side of the pool because he swallowed some water and was about to throw up.

Luckily the older he gets the better he has been able to control himself or at least make it to the bathroom.

So while Joey was probably digging in poop last night, I was cleaning up throw up. Cole was playing with his papa and pinched his finger in a foam rocket launcher. He started crying real hard and then I was carrying him down the hall with his face dangerously close to mine as he was gagging. Oh the joys of motherhood :-)

3 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Yeah, I thought I had an easy gag reflex until I met that kid...

However, I think I'd elect for the easy smell-free Xray over hunting for the slim little dime!

Emily said...

Oh my! The backpack one sounds like a doozy.

When my nephew Colin was just a wee infant and I was carrying him in a Baby Bjorn, he spit up right down the front of my shirt into cleavage. Nice. Good thing we love those little ones!

Joey said...

It didn't take long for me to realize that I had no time to dig through pooh. The funny thing is, I didn't really mind the task (bodily excrements don't bother me too much), I just don't have time to add this to my list of daily tasks. So I opted for the wait-a-couple-days-then-xray technique. Last night before we left the clinic, Faith posed for her picture and voila - no dime!