Sunday, June 10, 2007

Four words I thought I'd never say...


I am a triathlete! I finished the Danskin in 2:17:56; the 1/2 mile swim was 27 minutes, 1st transition 3:40, 12 mile bike 57:40, 2nd transition 1:29, 3 mile walk/run 47:10. My only two goals were to beat 3 hours and to finish. Not to bad for someone until two months ago, hadn't been on the bike in 15+ years, and was afraid to swim in open water. It was so moving to be out there with women of all ages and sizes. I started to tear up when my feet first touched the water and again when I was starting my bike and saw my son. When I was heading into the finish line during the run, he ran to the finish line with me (and wanted a medal :-) ) It was very hot, but definitely something I will do again. Since we trained with a group there were plenty of people we knew to cheer us on and keep us motivated. Seeing your loved ones at the end with signs, helped too!

After a shower and a nap (I was up at 3:30am) I feel pretty darn good, all things considered. Thanks for all the support and Vetmommy, Leah, and Emily...I couldn't have done it without you!
1) The Ladies---I look so tall compared to these petite ladies
2) Cole's handmade T-Rex poster for me and Leah

2 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Kareen, you are awesome for taking on this challenge in addition to all the other challenges in your life, like your job, school, raising a kid alone, etc. You deserve to be proud. And your time was excellent!!!

Emily said...

You did awesome! I was personally disappointed that you beat me, but I'm really happy for you! Your transition times were really amazing. You have to share your secrets for next year.