Sunday, October 29, 2006

Glorious Fall

I love this time of year. The weather becomes colder and the start of the holiday's are about to begin.

Yesterday was a beautiful day. Cole and I took Anna and Colin, Dr. Martin's kids to the park and to the Austin Zoo. She had to work and her husband was out of town and needed someone to watch the kiddos. I eagerly volunteered. I had several people ask me if I was crazy, volunteering to have three children for the morning. I wanted to say, "Hello people, this IS what I want to do for my life." We picked them up from work and went to the park for an hour. It was so much fun watching their imaginations and creativity at play. Collin is the youngest and had no trouble keeping up with the other two. Then we headed off to the zoo. I gave my rules before I left the car, "Stay together, no running, hold hands, no fingers on the cages (you are up pretty close to the cages, no yelling etc.)". I let the kids take turn being "line leader" so there were no arguments. They were all very well behaved. There were no fights, no whining, and no out of control children all day. We all had a great time. We got to feed the animals at the petting zoo (fun for even the big kid - me) and ride the train. They were so eager waiting for the train we all made up silly songs, to kill time. Cole really enjoyed having kids to pal around with for the day and I was relaxed and glad I didn't have to be his constant play companion.

Today we carved pumpkins. Cole loved scraping and pulling out the nasty pumpkin innards. Then he drew about five faces around his pumpkin. I let him use the "pokey" carving tool to punch in the outline of his faces and then I carved them out and let him push them through. We then created my pumpkin that I will take to work. We had such a great time. We were sitting on the back porch enjoying the beautiful weather for hours. I love creating traditions. I had never carved a pumpkin until I had Cole. We never did that as kids (my mom never did as a kid, either). However, since Cole was a baby we have carved pumpkin every year. Guess that's one good thing Cole's dad taught me, how to carve a pumpkin. I'll take the good memories where I can get them, I guess.

2 comments:

Joey said...

Hey, since this IS what you want to do for a living, I can definitely accomodate you with some great "practice" time with my kiddos! Heck, you could run a daycare just for my kids alone and make a pretty good living.

I know what you mean about the the pumpkin carving. There's a lot of things we do with our family that I never did as a kid. I guess that's what people mean when they talk about living vicariously through your kids. It's so much fun doing all that stuff. I love getting to be a kid again. Sometimes I think this is the first time I've ever really been a kid (I was always the "serious" kid growing up).

Vetmommy said...

My kids LOVED Saturday morning. In fact, they now want to go to work with me every Saturday. I'm glad you enjoyed the morning, too. No cursing and no bitching, eh?

Its funny, I carved ELABORATE pumpkins before I had kids. We still to them, but now I go for the simplest faces that are the fastest to complete -- I just don't have that kind of free time on my hands anymore!