Sunday, September 24, 2006

Weekend recap

Yesterday, my mom and I took Cole to the Inner Space Caverns in Georgetown. He had a great time. It was pretty Cole and the cavern is a "living" cavern, still being formed today. It was found in the 60's when the highway department was doing core samples for the interstate. I was amazed how much Cole loved it and listened to what the tour guide was saying. Once we got to the end of the cavern and turned back, he told us all kinds of things that the tour guide had said 30 minutes before. He retained more information than I did. Even last night at bed he was still talking in detail about the caverns. It was also, surreal walking 50 feet below the interstate. The world is an amazing place.

Last night Cole was playing away in the bath tub and then he stopped and started asking questions about Al. Why did he die? Why can't he come back alive, like in "All Dogs Go To Heaven"? Why can't he stay with us? He said Al was the best cat ever. He even asked if I was going to die, I chickened out and side-stepped that question by getting him out of the tub. There is no good answer to that question.

Then today Cole saw the scrapbook that I created when he was a baby. We were going through each page and he was describing each picture to me. Me and him at Halloween, his first airplane ride. Several pictures of Cole and Al. We got to a picture of Randy holding him awkwardly on a chair and Cole said "this is me and, me and, mommy who is that with me?" At first I thought maybe he was kidding, so I waited and he was just looking at me waiting for an answer. I said, "baby that's you and Daddy." He looked again and said okay and then moved on to the other pictures. My heart broke. The sad thing it was a normal picture of his dad and he really didn't recognize him. I have nothing more to say. Sigh!

3 comments:

Leah said...

I love the Caverns in Georgetown. Its been a long time since I have been there and I would love to go there again. Cole is such a bright kid. I love that he is older now and doesn't mind giving hugs. He always brings a smile to my face.

Joey said...

Ok, the part about not recognizing his dad is a tear-jerker. I read it to John & both of us were sad and amazed. I just don't understand Randy. Thankfully Cole has an awesome mom and is surrounded by plenty of family (living with your parents) - that's good for him.

Vetmommy said...

What a loss. Randy has no idea what he's missing. At least Cole's life is so full, he doesn't feel the void.