Saturday, October 13, 2007

They are going to take away my Texas card

Last night we took Cole to a high school football game. When we were children and lived in New Mexico my parents took us to the local high school football games which we loved. Then when I was in high school there was nothing I loved more than Friday night football games. The day would start off with morning pep-rallies, spirit competitions between the grade levels and then a fun night yelling and cheering at the football stadium. My brother played football in high school and many nights were spent at his games, as well. Texas and football just go together.

Cole loves going to the games. The band, the cheerleaders, the dancers and the action what could be more fun to a five-year-old? Football has changed for me now. I now see the game through mother's eyes. All I could think about as the big hits drew cheers and yells of excitement from the fans, was that was a mother's son out there getting the snot clobbered out of them. Here is my secret...I don't want my son to play football. See there is probably an angry mob starting to gather at my front door right now. They are going kick us right out of Texas. I think they still burn people at the stake for saying such blasphemous things down here.

Of course if he wants to play I will let him. Hopefully he will stick to baseball or karate (which he starts on Tuesday).

3 comments:

Vetmommy said...

I am totally with you there. I don't mind if my son enjoys football, but only from the stands or in the backyard.

Emily said...

I agree. It seems too injury-prone. How about golf? :-)

Dana said...

Baseball is good. Baseball, baseball, baseball. I'm telling you...start taking him to the UT Baseball games. Now those are fun. Of course, there are still injuries there, but you don't have to worry about a 260# Linebacker running your son over. Necks are seldom broken in baseball.