Monday, September 17, 2007

Sniffle, sniffle

I have my second "Kindergarten" cold. Last weekend I had a sore throat and runny nose and this weekend it is more of the same.

Cole has another case of strep throat. He woke up with a fever yesterday morning. Today his temp was 102, so off to the pediatrician we went. A throat swab and fifteen minutes later the rapid strep test was positive. I explained how difficult (this word is an understatement) Cole has been to medicate lately to his doctor. She sat him down and they had a nice long talk. She explained all his options, an injection, a twice a day liquid for seven days, a once a day liquid for 10, a capsule that can be mixed with food once day for ten days and let him choose. He choose the capsule. She reminded him that if he didn't take his medicine he would have no choice but to get a shot. He choose ice cream to mix his medicine in. I placed a capsule on the counter that he never took his eyes off. I said that since his throat was hurting so much, he could have a little ice cream first. Meanwhile, I had palmed another capsule and mixed it in. He ate up his first spoonful of ice cream. He was shocked when afterwards I told him that he had already taken his medicine. YES!!! I outsmarted a five year old. He happily agreed that it didn't taste bad at all. Hopefully we will have 9 more days of easy medicating. I hope he starts feeling better soon, his temp was up to 103.5 this evening before bed. He sure hated missing school and talked a lot today about what his friends where probably doing at school.

On Saturday, Cole told us he wants to be an astronaut when he grows up. Why? So he can blast off in a rocket ship to Heaven to visit Great-Papa.


***By the way...no response to my reply to R's email, just as I expected

3 comments:

Emily said...

So sorry you and Cole are sick! No fun. I had my first NY cold a couple weekends ago. Everyone says here that moving to the City is just like starting school because there are so many people and so many germs!
Hope you feel better soon.

Vetmommy said...

Brilliant! You are going to have all the tricks for your own classroom. I hope the rest go down well, too. Maybe you should take home a syringe w/a 20 ga needle to inspire him.

Leah said...

Maybe you can come visit my brothers wife and show her some tricks to getting the kids to take their meds. Her way doesn't work.